How to pack for moving like a pro?
It is time to move, and almost every moving is a mess. Emotions, stress, worry are part of a move. Packing is also one of the hard parts of the process. It can be overwhelming too. But, on the other hand, it is one of the most important parts of moving. If you pack for moving like a pro, your items won’t be damaged, broken or lost. But, if you are moving for the first time, packing may seem like a very complicated thing to do. That is why a guide is here, to help you and prepare you for this big step.
Packing cannot be avoided, wherever you move. Even if it is a move in the same city. We have tricks and tips that may help you to pack as a professional would. Follow steps and your household items will be safe.
Pack for moving like a pro – tips
There are different options for how to move. You can hire a full-service moving company, or just hire professionals to transport your items. A-1 Fargo Van & Storage may offer you what you need when moving. But, if you want to pack and prepare your boxes by yourself, then tips are essential.
Equipment for packing
The first thing you will need to pack for moving like a pro is to have the proper equipment for packing.
- Moving boxes are essential. Collect enough boxes before you start with packing. You can buy them or if you want to cut moving costs, then get free boxes in local stores and supermarkets. But for fragile items, you should use new and firm boxes.
- Air bubble foil for wrapping electronics and fragile items.
- Moving blankets for covering furniture.
- Newspapers and packing peanuts.
- A quality duct tape and marker.
Declutter and categorize
You should not move all your possessions. Declutter your home and decide what to take, toss, and donate/sell. Especially if it is a long-distance move, it is not worth it to move too many items because the weather is different and you will pay a lot for moving them. Also, when you declutter your home, you will have a clear picture of how many items you have for moving.
Ask for help
DIY packing requires a little help from at least one friend. Dissasembling furniture and carrying it is a job for more than one person. Ask a family member or a friend to help you pack your household items. When moving people get too emotional, so your friends may help you decide what you really need and what is less important.
Pack room by room
Do not do more than one room at the same time. A focus should be on the one room. Start with items you do not need before moving day. That is usually an attic, basement, and garage. When you finish these rooms, start to pack small kitchen appliances, off-season clothing, etc.
Lack of moving boxes
If you do not have enough boxes, you may use garbage bags and suitcases. Of course, just for clothing, shoes and other soft items. Be creative and use all your resources, especially when you moving on short notice.
After you are done with packing the box, label it, so your unpacking will be much easier and faster. Label them on the top and on at least one side. Especially label boxes with fragile items, arts, and electronics.
Pack an essential box
An essential box is a box that you will during moving, and a few days after moving too. It is also called an open first box. Water, food, towels, toiletry, linens, phone chargers, cleaning supplies, coffee, clothes for a few days, etc. Simple, pack things you use every day.
What to pack when moving with kids?
When moving with kids, it may give you additional stress. You should help your kids cope with moving and pack boxes at the same time. Not only you should pack their items, but also, you need to pack while they are running around the house.
- Start early because kids may take you a lot of time. Preparing food for them, helping with homework, going out to the park, etc.
- Pack while they are sleeping or ask your friend to take care of your kids while you are packing.
- If your kids are old enough to help you, they can pack for moving like a pro too.
- Make sure you have packed clothing in your essential box. They can get dirty easily.
- Pack their favorite snack and water for a moving day, together with one favorite toy and one new toy.
- You must have a first aid kit near you because kids will touch everything, so injuries may happen.
Moving with a pet – what to pack?
If you have a pet(s), you must pack their items too and pay attention to them. Moving with pets is not simple and you should know that you will have more work, not only with packing but also making sure they feel safe and happy.
- Pack pet’s food which he/she usually eat. It is not a time for changing food now.
- Pack their bowls for water and food.
- Pet’s favorite toy and blankets.
- Leash and grooming supplies.
- Health certificate, especially if you are moving to another country.
When relocation time comes, you should pack for moving like a pro in order to keep your items safe. DIY move is possible only with the help and a guide to follow. Start your new life smoothly and with minimal obstacles. If you pack belongings as professional, unpacking will be faster too, so you can set your new home immediately.