Moving is a hard process that takes a lot of time. There are many, many things to have in mind, and it’s easy to start panicking and lose your nerves quickly. According to some research, moving is actually the third most stressful thing in life that any of us can come upon. Imagine that. So, we’ve prepared this guide that will have the moving process explained. Of course, we can’t go over everything in detail, but after reading our guide, you should be well on your way toward having a stress-free relocation in NY.
Should you hire a professional moving company
First, you need to decide whether you should hire professional movers to help you relocate. In almost every case, we would advise you to do go ahead and do so. As we said, the moving process takes a lot of time. And if you have a job and a family to take care of, it can be extremely difficult to do so while juggling with obligations related to moving. Hiring professional movers means that you’ll have much more time to dedicate to your everyday life. Ask for assistance when packing your belongings, shipping your items, and organizing the logistics of your relocation – in all likelihood, you won’t regret it.
Why would you need help with all of that? Well, not only does packing take a lot of time, it can be difficult to pack large objects such as a piano or a pool table. Most likely you’ll first have to disassemble these objects, so that they can fit through narrow doorways and be transported, and then assemble them again. Since professional movers have done that a lot of times, you won’t have anything to worry about. They’ll know how to store fine art safely, and all other valuables you may have as well. The same goes for the actual shipment – professional movers in NY have done this many times and you’ll be left in safe hands.
How to find high-quality reliable movers
Or, maybe it’s better if we said “you’ll be left in safe hands, if you can find high-quality movers such as the ones working for heartmoving.us.” But, how to find an adequate moving company to help you with your moving process?
- First get recommendations from friends and relatives. But, don’t stop there! Continue your search online as well, as you’ll want to have as many options as possible.
- Call the company and arrange a meeting. Before the meeting, however, someone from the company should visit you in order to provide you with a free estimate. There are three types of estimates; some will be better for you, some worse. The one you should avoid is called a non-binding estimate. When you get this kind of estimate, you might have to pay more than what was initially arranged (hence the “non-binding” part). On the other hand, if you get a binding estimate or a not-to-exceed estimate, you definitely won’t have to pay more, but perhaps you’ll pay less. That’s a pretty attractive kind of estimate, isn’t it?
- Be on the lookout for any signs of amateurism. Equipment that is kept in a bad shape, impolite workers… Basically, trust your instincts on this one.
Tips on packing more easily
Once you’ve found the right moving company in NY, it’s time to begin the packing procedure. Here are some handy tips that should prove to be useful:
- First make an inventory checklist. That way, you’ll be more organized and you won’t miss anything.
- Then, make a so-called packing station. There, you’ll do all the packing (duh). Move all your packing materials and all the items you’ll pack that day, and start working.
- However, there’s a matter of packing containers to use. The best option is to buy new packing boxes, as old boxes aren’t as sturdy and their structure isn’t intact. This means that there’s a chance that they’ll break during the transport.
- Don’t forget to label all the boxes according to their corresponding rooms. Doing so will make unpacking much, much easier, as you’ll be able to unpack neatly and elegantly, simply going room by room.
Tips on moving on a budget
Finally, we’ll conclude by providing some tips on how to save money when relocating. Moving process can be a costly one, and it might drain you of money. Hiring professional movers is still recommended, as they are usually pretty affordable, and you might actually save some money that way. You won’t have to pay for the moving vehicle, for the gas, and you’ll packing supplies at a cheaper price, and you’ll get everything done much more quickly. And time is money, right?
- While we do suggest buying new boxes, if you’re short on money during the moving process, free ones can do. Where to get free moving boxes? There are plenty of places – you can look online, you can check out your local grocery store, or you can even try a nearby school. You’ll be surprised at how many boxes schools get their supplies in. They later recycle those boxes – be kind and ask them to do that for them.
- Move during the off-season. When it comes to moving, off-season is the same as when we’re talking about vacationing – any period when it’s not hot, actually. People, understandably, don’t like to move when it’s cold, so you’ll get better prices at the moving company because of that.
- Declutter your home. We all keep many things simply because we’re sorry to get rid of them. We know we’ll never really use them, but we might, right? Well, in all likelihood – you won’t. Get rid of these items, because the less items you have to move, the lesser will be the costs. You can even organize a yard sale, and make some more money that way.