Do you want to start your own business in the transportation industry? Particularly, to start a moving company in your area and to be successful in that field? Starting a business is not easy, but on the other hand, it is not impossible. Only in the USA, about 31 million people are moving every year (almost 10% of the total population). Make a profit from that and be a successful company owner.
Tips to start a moving company
The first step is to have a business plan and an idea. What services do you want to offer to clients and what type of company you will be? Van lines or regular movers, and keep in mind that moving companies can offer a lot of different services, some of them are:
- Storage services
- Packing and unpacking
- Van and truck transportation
- Senior moving assistance
- Moving special items
- Disassembling and assembling furniture
- Office moving
- Local or long-distance moves
After deciding what types of services you will offer and making a business plan, there are different things to consider when starting a moving business.
Deciding where to start a moving business
Decide on a location and where is the best place to start a moving and storage company. Research the biggest growing business markets in the USA and start from there. Check the competition in the area and what other companies are offering.
Getting permits for moving and transportation
Get a license for your moving business. What type of license you need depends on the services you are offering. For example, if you will offer local relocations, then you will need a state license. But, for a long-distance relocation, get a country license. Each state has different laws and regulations for moving companies and applying for permits.
Of course, when starting a business, there are some investments to make. Where to start and how much money will you need at the beginning?
- Purchasing moving equipment and vans or trucks. Start small and after a while when you earn enough, buy more equipment. In the beginning, you will need moving dollies, moving pads, moving vehicles, packing materials, etc. Moving vehicles are one of the biggest investment, but you can rent them for now.
- Getting moving insurance is a must, so contact your insurance agency. In this case, you will need vehicle and cargo insurance.
- Business marketing is a must if you want to attract more clients. Invest money in the website and digital marketing. There are many SEO companies that will make your company stand out. Create a name, logo, website, social media profiles, online ads, etc.
- Hiring employees is a cost too. If you want to start a moving company that is small, a couple of workers will be enough.
Be nice to potential costumers and try to get their trust. To start a moving company is hard, buy staying in business is even more important. Gather a team of people you trust and start from there.