Moving is one of the most stressful events in life. There are so many things to consider and too many stuff that can go wrong. The better you prepare for your upcoming relocation, the easier the move will pass. Follow the steps of this pros’ guide that will help you immensely with your relocation.
The organization is the key to the good relocation
Good organization is crucial when you are planning your relocation. You must think of all the things that this process require. The best things are to make a moving checklist.
When you put all the task in writing, the lesser will be the chance that you will forget something. Write down the list of your inventory, all the dates important for the moving, your budget plan, packing schedule, list of packing supplies, all the important information about your movers.
When you are organizing your relocation keep this questions in mind:
- Will you hire the moving company or move on your own?
- Did you set the realistic moving budget?
- Do you have young children or pets that have special needs?
- How long will it take to pack your belongings?
- Do you have all of the packing supplies?
- Will your new home be a move in ready when the moving day comes?
- Did you notify everybody about your move, including the bank and the utility companies?
- How will you travel to your new destination?
- Will you need to hire a cleaning crew to clean your home once it’s empty?
Those are all the things to think about when moving. You organization skills have to be up to the task, and you really have to think about every detail.
Make a moving budget plan
The first thing on your moving checklist will be to make a moving budget plan. Calculate all the expenses of the moving and set your budget accordingly. When you know how much will your move cost, you will know how much money you need to set aside for each task of your relocation.
Making a budget plan will make sure that your move doesn’t cost you more than you can afford.
Should you hire a moving company?
Hiring a moving company is always a good recommendation. It will save you a lot of hassle and unnecessary worries. They will do all the hard work for you, so you can focus on other things that require your attention. Professionals with experience will know the best way to load, transport and unload your things. In theory, you can do it yourself. In practice, it’s much harder than it seems. Also, you are risking damaging your belongings or even your health. Hiring the moving company will save you a lot of time, and most importantly – it will give you a peace of mind.
Check out bigapplemoving.com, and see all the benefits of hiring reliable movers for your relocation.
If your budget allows you, you can always enlist the additional service like packing. Packing your belongings in the right way by the professionals provides the additional safety that your belongings arrive at your new home undamaged. Moving companies also are providing the different types of moving services. Still, if you want to save some money, you can always pack your things on your own. Just know that it will require good organization and a lot of time.
Get rid of unnecessary items
Before you start packing, it will be wise to go through your home and sort out your things. There will certainly be some things that you want to get rid off. People don’t realize how many unnecessary things they have until it’s time for relocation.
Go from room to room, and make an inventory of your belongings. Any items that you can’t place into your new home should be separated on the piles that you will donate, sell or throw away.
Decluttering your home will make your packing easier, and your moving cost lower. It will give you clarity and help you make a good packing plan.
Now we are arriving at the most dreaded chore of relocation – packing. It is the most intimidating, time consuming and overwhelming part of moving. It’s a fact that you have to accept if you are packing on your own.
Making a good packing strategy can be very useful.
- Packing supplies – Before you start packing, make sure that you have all the necessary packing supplies. You will need a lot of packing tape, boxes of all sizes, sharp scissors, bold black markers, packing wrappers, packing paper.
- Room by room – Make a plan to pack one room at the time. When you pack all the items from one room, go to the next one. Packing belongings by room will make you more organized, but also more motivated.
- First pack the items that you are rarely using – Start off by packing the least used items, like decorative figurines or picture frames. The items that you are using often pack at the very end.
- Mark each box – Write on each box what does it contain and to which room it belongs.
Pack a travel bag
When the moving day comes, your belongings will be loaded into the moving truck and on their way to your new home. You will travel separately, by the transportation of your choosing.
It is important to remember to pack a travel bag. Even if you are not traveling that far. All sort of things can go wrong. The flights can be canceled, or a traffic accident can block the road. That’s why you should always have your essential items with you. Just in case. Pack a change of clothes, medicine, toiletries and some snacks. Also, your important documents should be by your side at any time. Never pack documents like passports, bank statements, diplomas etc. and ship them with the rest of your belongings.